Re: [eclipse-clp-users] Issue with Dbi

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 17:37:35 +0000
Hi Shrirang,

On 26/12/2014 06:31, Edgaonkar, Shrirang wrote:

> 2. Test Code is as follows:-
>
> This is a case where the result of the query is known and we expect the where clause constraint to be evaluated based on the result.

I am not sure if I understand your intention here, but it looks to me
you are expecting the dbi library to do some extra evaluation at the
ECLiPSe level for the SQL query you are sending. Dbi does not do this --
the SQL statements are sent directly to MySQL, and must be complete
and valid for MySQL. I am not that familiar with SQL, but I think you
must specify a name following "name=", and MySQL will then return
matching tuples from the test.new_table that you specified.

> % Connect to DB  user/password
> session_start("root", "admin", [], Session),
>
> % SQL
> SQLTemp = "select pass from test.new_table where name=",
> concat_string([SQLTemp, Key], SQL),

 From what follows, it looks like you left Key as a variable here,
expecting dbi to instantiate it to "Taro"? There are two problems with this:

1) The first argument to concat_string/2 must be a ground list (i.e.
have no uninstantiated variables in it), so if Key is still a variable,
this will lead to an instantiation fault. Is this the "abort" you are
seeing? If so, you should have seen an error message like

instantiation fault in concat_string([SQLTemp, Key], SQL)

showing the problem is with using concat_string/2, before your SQL query
was sent to MySQL.

2) As I mentioned earlier, I think you need to specify a name following
"name=" to make a valid SQL query, so Key needs to be instantiated to a
name, e.g. "Taro".

If you want MySQL to return all the tuples in the table, then I think
you need to write a different SQL query.

Hope this helps,

Kish