Re: [eclipse-clp-users] Finding the ECLiPSE startup directory

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 18:55:27 +0000
Paulo Moura wrote:
> On 2009/03/16, at 18:18, Kish Shen wrote:
>
>> Paulo Moura wrote:
>
> Please see my previous reply to the mailing list. I cannot use the -e
> option as I need to know the startup directory for the initialization
> goals in the file that I'm loading using the -b option and the -e
> option goal is executed after the -b option.

It seems to me that you don't want to use -b, not -e -- you can compile
the file you would load with -b in the query of -e, i.e.

-e "......, compile(boot)"

instead of -b boot.

> Note that what I'm trying to accomplish is similar to ECLiPSe
> initialization at startup behavior. From the docs:
>
> "For eclipse, before displaying the initial prompt, the system checks
> whether there is a file called .eclipserc in the current directory and
> if not, in the user's home directory. If such a file is found, ECLiPSe
> compiles it first."

That really is only suitable for Un*x, and is a holdover from the old
days. We certainly don't try to do anything clever with what the
`current directory' is on Windows -- as I said, this is probably fixed
by Windows, unless you start ECLiPSe in unusual ways, e.g. inside a bash
shell in cygwin. Also, the `home directory' is also probably not defined
when you start ECLiPSe using normal Windows methods.

You can see the code that does this in toplevel.pl (compile_rc/0), and
it is done when the query toplevel:toplevel is called -- i.e. within the
-e if you follow Joachim's suggestion.

Cardiff, South Glamorgan CF10 5BT.