Re: Q about CHRs

From: Ulrich Scholz <ulrich.scholz_at_eml-d.villa-bosch.de>
Date: Tue 26 Jul 2005 01:42:57 PM GMT
On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 02:09:05PM +0100, Kish Shen wrote:
> >Is it possible to identify [a constrained]
> >variable [...] in the guard of a constraint handling rule?
>
> [...] there is no easy way of
> `identifying' the variable(s) that cause a CHR to re-activate.

OK.

> >Is it possible to add a rule to the CHR compiler without initiating the
> >checking process as a result of this insertion (checking it later is OK, of
> >course)?
>
> No, I don't think so.

OK again.

> You may be better off using suspensions directly if you want this sort of
> flexibility.

It would be hard for my to write some code that blends into the ic libraries
as well as CHRs do.

Having said that, I would like to read the code of the ic libraries,
especially of ic_global.  I guess they could teach me a lot.

> There is obviously a case for better compilation/analysis of the CHR rules,
> but the resources at IC-Parc is limited, and since the CHRs rules don't
> seem to be used that much, we haven't devoted that much resources to it.

I understand that.  You do a good job!

Thanks, Uli

--
Ulrich Scholz