Re: Counting backtracks

From: Aminu, Farouk <f.aminu_at_lancaster.ac.uk>
Date: Wed 30 Apr 2003 02:54:11 PM GMT
Hello,

On friday, 19/04/2002, Tallys Hoover Yunes, wrote:
Dear all,

  I'm writing an optimization program in ECLiPSe
  and I'd like to count the total number of backtracks
  that happened until the optimal solution is found.

  I'm optimizing with the following predicate:

  minimize(search([Q001, Q002, Q003, Q004, Q005, Q006, Q007],
	   0,first_fail,indomain,complete,[backtrack(Back)]),Cost).

  But I feel that what I get in the variable Back is going to
  be only the number of backtracks that occurred between the
  next-to-last and last solutions.

  What would be the correct way to do this?

  Thanks a lot in advance.

Best,
Tallys

 ---------------------------------------
  Tallys Hoover Yunes
  PhD student in Operations Research
  GSIA, Carnegie Mellon University, USA
 ---------------------------------------
It seems there was no response to his mail. I have a similar question but in my case, I would like to count the number of backtracks done between successive solutions until the 'last'. I would also like to know the number of backtracks done between finding the optimum value and proving optimality. Is there anyway I can do this in ECLiPSe?

Thanking you very much,
Farouk
Umaru Farouk Aminu
Department of Management Science,