Counting backtracks

From: Tallys Hoover Yunes <tallys_at_cmu.edu>
Date: Fri 19 Apr 2002 01:42:53 PM GMT
Dear all,

  I'm writing an optimization program in ECLiPSe
  and I'd like to count the total number of backtracks
  that happened until the optimal solution is found.

  I'm optimizing with the following predicate:

  minimize(search([Q001, Q002, Q003, Q004, Q005, Q006, Q007],
	   0,first_fail,indomain,complete,[backtrack(Back)]),Cost).

  But I feel that what I get in the variable Back is going to
  be only the number of backtracks that occurred between the
  next-to-last and last solutions.

  What would be the correct way to do this?

  Thanks a lot in advance.

Best,
Tallys

  Tallys Hoover Yunes