Re: [eclipse-clp-users] switching debugger on with trace

From: Kish Shen <kish.shen_at_...6...>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2022 23:44:49 +0000
Hi Chris,

In ECLiPSe, I don't think you can turn on the debugger and trace the
execution starting from there.
However, you can turn on the debugger for a specific goal by wrapping it
with trace/1 or debug.1. Using your example:

big_goal1,
trace(buggy_goal),
big_goal2.

If the debugger was off when you run the above query, then only buggy_goal
will be traced.
The difference between trace/1 and debug/1 is that the debugger is in creep
mode for trace/1 and will  stop immediately, while debug/1 will only stop
for a predicate with a spy point.

Running goals with the debugger on is much slower than without the
debugger, so using trace/1 and debug/1 avoids the overhead for goals you
are not debugging.
Is this the main reason why you want to trace the execution of buggy_goal?

If instead you are  interested in  tracing a specific call to buggy_goal in
your source code, you can set a breakpoint on it in TkECLiPSe's debugger.,
so that the debugger will stop only at the call port for that specific
call.

I am surprised that your mytrace/0 worked for you. As far as I can tell,
although mytrace/0 will turn on the debugger, the tracing will not start
from there, but only from your next top-level goal. You don't need to use
spy/1 to turn on the debugger - you can use the debugging flag for
set_flag./2, but this will also not start tracing immediately.

--Kish