Re: [eclipse-clp-users] BAD_TERMs in the C/C++ interface

From: Victor Mataré <matare_at_...420...>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2019 04:39:01 +0100
On Samstag, 14. Dezember 2019 02:21:33 CET Joachim Schimpf wrote:
> Hello Victor,
>
> On 13/12/2019 18:46, Victor Mataré wrote:
> > I'm making extensive use of the C++ interface, and the aggressive garbage
> > collection in eclipse-clp is still giving me trouble. So as I understand
> > it, any term goes BAD after it's been given to the eclipse engine once.
> >
> > Now I already have infrastructure in place to deal with that, but in my
> > control flow it's becoming a huge issue that I never really know whether a
> > term has gone BAD or not. Is there any way to query whether a certain term
> > (handle) has already been garbage collected?
>
> I'm quite confident that the C++ interface has the functionality to solve
> your problem in a clean way, no strange workarounds should be necessary.
>
>  From what you say, I suspect that you may not be using term references
> where they are needed.

It's not that. I don't need persistent term references because I'm not pulling
information out of the eclipse engine. In the part I'm talking about, I'm
basically just using compile_term/1 to "compile" a C++ object structure into a
bunch of prolog clauses. The problem is that some of those C++ objects
represent variables that are referenced in other objects (i.e. they are not
singleton variables).

So I can't simply re-initialize the variable terms whenever they're referenced
because that would make them singletons. I've now resorted to initializing
these variable terms once before building a term or clause that has variables,
but that is error prone because I didn't expect to have that problem when I
designed the control flow.

Now that I think of it, some clearer documentation might have helped me in the
beginning. There is just this rather vague half-sentence in the Embedding and
Interfacing Manual:

"terms do not survive the execution of ECLiPSe"

None of these words are really clear. What terms are really affected and how,
what does "survive" mean and what does "execution" mean?

I think the Embedding Manual should have at least a short section about memory
management that clearly states what happens. In fact, it should have a big fat
warning along these lines:

Every EC_word that has been put into post_goal() is invalid after EC_resume().
That includes all pieces of complex terms. Putting an invalid EC_word into
another post_goal() leads to undefined behaviour, which might cause the
eclipse engine to corrupt data, crash immediately, crash randomly, or to never
crash.

At least that is the behaviour I observed so far when I made mistakes with
this. I assume that the undefined behaviour helps performance, but what would
also be really useful for debugging these things is a switch that makes it
crash immediately. Sure, I can design my client application so that it cannot
happen, but I failed to do that initially because there was neither a fat
warning nor a fail-fast behavior. It's really a huge pitfall if you're
designing a larger application.

Hope I did get the problem across ;-)

Best regards & thanks for your helpful support,
Victor

PS: If you look at e.g. SWI Prolog, they expose a GC frame object which makes
their (also non-trivial) memory management explicit, controllable and
therefore obvious. Lacking that, I believe one does need very clear
documentation.