[eclipse-clp-users] Suggestion for a workshop content

From: Sergii Dymchenko <kit1980_at_...6...>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 00:13:13 -0800
Hello,

I will be running "Introduction to constraint logic programming" workshop
at LambdaConf http://www.degoesconsulting.com/lambdaconf-2015/ (May 22-24,
Boulder CO).

This is a non-academic conference mostly about functional programming, not
logic programming, so I assume that most people there will not be very
familiar with Prolog.

I will use ECLiPSe for the workshop, probably  the ic library only.

The workshop duration is 2 hours. Currently I don't have an estimate how
many people will participate; my wild guess is 20.

I plan to give very brief and narrow Prolog introduction, explain ECLiPSe
loops, give some motivation for constraint programming vs Prolog, give one
or two very simple examples (like cryptarithmetic puzzles). Then I want to
ask the audience to model and solve (with my one-on-one help) either a
variant of the problem I explained, or some new simple problem that don't
have an ECLiPSe solution available on the Internet (
http://www.hakank.org/eclipse/). After that there should be some time to
present my "reference solution" to the problem.

My teaching experience is very limited.
Do you think the plan I described is feasible given the time constraints
and the audience? Any suggestions for the problems to use? Any other
suggestions?

-Sergii.