Re: [eclipse-clp-users] parallel predicates in eclipse

From: Joachim Schimpf <joachim.schimpf_at_...269...>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2010 14:55:35 +1000
Christian Wirth wrote:
> After finishing the implementation of multiple, parallel eclipse
> instances, i'm trying to increase the parallelism further.
> I have several points in my programm where i'm calling a goal on every
> element of a list. The calls are independent.
> It's just like: findall(X,(member(E,List),do(E,X)),Result)
>
> I figured, it shouldn't be very hard to parallise this by using
> par_member instead of member.
> But my small test programm:
>
> :- lib("par_util").
> p(X) :- findall(Y,par_member(Y,[1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9]),X).
>
> is crashing eclipse ? (called via tkeclipse, Windows XP)

Sorry to disappoint you...  The par_util library, the fork/2 builtin
and the :- parallel declaration don't lead to any parallel computation
in current ECLiPSe versions.  They are remnants of or-parallel ECLiPSe
which we stopped supporting in the late 90s because of limited
manpower and other priorities.  Of course with the ready availability
of parallel machines nowadays it would be nice to resurrect it.
It's a question of finding either the funding, or someone qualified
and with the spare time to do it.

Nevertheless, the par-constructs should still work in sequential mode.
The crash you found was due to code rot, i've fixed it now.

-- Joachim