Re: [eclipse-clp-users] Where to find documentation for Tracer Filter usage?

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 05:24:01 +0000
-dp- wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 7:26 PM, Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...> wrote:
>
>> The debugging chapter in the tutorial (which shows the screencap you are
>> pointing to) has an example of using the filter with a Goal Template and
>> condition, along with using spy-points. It is intended for people who are
>> unfamiliar with debugging in Prolog, and also introduces some of the more
>> advanced features such as the Filter, and we would welcome any feedback to
>> improve the chapter.
>>

> Where is the best place to learn about this breakpointing feature? (As I
> mentioned before, after digging through the docs, the best match I could
> find was the Tracer Filter.)
>
> If "spy-points" are the implementation of breakpointing, I have already
> tried to set a spy-point using the Predicate Browser, but TkEclipse never
> paused on that predicate even though I can tell from the output that the
> predicate was called. (I didn't have the Tracer open because I thought that
> would require me to creep, but maybe the Tracer needs to be open and
> advanced somehow?)
>
> David

Hi David,

Your posts suggest that you are not familiar with debugging in Prolog.
The tutorial chapter was designed to be read and followed by a beginner,
so that they gain some idea of how to debug a ECLiPSe program, including
using some less standard (to Prolog) tools such as the Filter and the
inspector. For your specific questions, the tutorial asks you to open
the tracer window at the start, and that you do not need to creep when
you use the tracer. [as an aside: there are ways to not open the tracer
window at the start and still get the tracer window to popup on selected
spypoints, but this is a more advanced feature, and you should only
start thinking about this when you are familiar with the basic
functionality]

As Joachim said, spy-points causes the tracer to stop at all calls (and
other ports) to the predicate with the spy-point. This is not the
conventional "break-point" you find in debugger for other languages,
where you put a break-point on a specific procedure call in your
program. As Joachim also said, you can set such a break-point as well:
this was not described in the tutorial part of the chapter, but the
summary annotated picture for the tracer was updated to show the
break-points.

Cardiff, South Glamorgan CF10 5BT.