Re: [eclipse-clp-users] Command line interpreter

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 02:07:34 +0000
Alex Rozenshteyn wrote:
> Forgive the horribly newbie question, but I haven't been able to figure it
> out.
>
> When I try to write anything that isn't a predefined predicate in the
> command line interpreter, I get "calling an undefined procedure".  I'm
> wondering if there's a way to do something equivalent to the tk
> interpreter's compile scratch-pad.
>
> Also, forgive me if this has been already answered; I couldn't figure out
> how to search the sourceforge archives.

Hi Alex,

The top-level is for issuing queries. If you want to write code, you
need to compile it. To compile code while you are in the tty (compile
line) top-level, you can use the query [user], which means to compile
the user stream (i.e. the input for the tty top-level), and not a file
with the name user.

You can then type in the code you want, and end this with a ^D
(control-D) to return to the top-level.

You should only do this for very simple code that you just want to test
things out. For anything else, you should write the code in a file and
compile that.

Note that ECLiPSe inherited this use of [user] from Prolog -- it was
developed in the days when people have only a single text terminal, so
it is not convenient to write code when you are inside the top-level.
However, with the graphical windowing systems these days, it is very
easy to have a different window with an editor to write code you want to
test, so [user] is really much less needed now (and this is why it is
not supported in the TkECLiPSe top-level).

Cardiff, South Glamorgan CF10 5BT.