Re: [eclipse-clp-users] How to extend lib(ic) to get stronger propagation?

From: Ulrich Scholz <Ulrich.Scholz_at_...10...>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 14:17:20 +0100
Helmut, thanks for your answer.

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 12:46:49PM -0000, Helmut Simonis wrote:
> Ulrich,
>
> there are two possibilities there:
>
> a) you can use something like CHR to detect combinations of constraints from
> which you can detect new constraints.

I know CHR and use it for some constraints.  But re-writing lib(ic) with
CHRs will be my last resort because it is a lot of work for some small extra
propagation.  And most likely lib(ic) is more correct and more efficient.

I don't know how to add an extension to lib(ic) with CHRs, e.g., how to
trigger a CHR in case two ic constraints are posted.

> b) You can treat a set of inequalities as a global constraint, set up a
> graph and then detect properties (e.g. cycles) in that graph.

I don't think I need such a complex solution.  The simple case #=< + #>= =>
#= would be fine.  Furthermore, the inequalities are generated by a
non-deterministic contraint program, so it is not easy to determine which
set of inequalities is posted.  In the end, this approach would result in a
CHR re-implementation of lib(ic), too.

Best regard,

Ulrich