Re: [eclipse-clp-users] Inconsistency between ECL/Java interfaces?

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 01:39:15 +0100
Gregory Harman wrote:
> Hi Kish,
>
> Thanks for your reply. I'm using ECLiPSe v6.0 #75. Full disclosure: I'm
> a rookie at ECLiPSe, Prolog, and CHR; I've inherited the ECLiPSe
> codebase, and am learning as I go. (The reason for using an old version
> - if in fact I am - is that there is a pre-existing codebase and I don't
> know any better.)

ECLiPSe 6.0 #75 is reasonably recent...

> The prolog file I use as an entry point has a lib(ech) declaration. I'm
> not sure how to determine whether the .chr source file itself is written
> in the new or old version. Is there a different compile function for
> ech?

You can simply compile CHR code with ech directly, i.e. with the normal
compile command. chr2pl is simply alised to compile in ech for backwards
compatibility.

Given the above, it seems most likely that the warnings are about your
code, and you should probably fix these by updating your code. Can you
give some example of the messages?

> Regarding the differences between OutOfProcessEclipse and
> EmbeddedEclipse: I'm sure they are using the same eclipse, same
> configuration, everything. The only difference is which one I use to
> instantiate my Java instance - everything else is the same from there.
> However, your explanation of stream handling does seem to explain the
> behavior I was seeing if the warning stream is not explicitly mapped in
> EE.

I would be surprised if the warning_output stream is suppressed by
default in EmbeddedRclipse, and I can't see where else it can go but
standard output by default...

Cardiff, South Glamorgan CF10 5BT.