Re: [eclipse-clp-users] Java error messages

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 01:29:43 +0000
Hi Gregory,

 From your message, I am not sure if you want to debug your ECLiPSe code
in Java, or if it is to write error handling code for ECLiPSe in Java.

In both cases, I think it is best to try to do as much in ECLiPSe rather
than Java. ECLiPSe is a full programming language, so in general it is
much better to do development and handle programming tasks in it. On the
other hand, the Java interface (and indeed the other interfaces of
ECLiPSe to external languages) are not really designed for doing ECLiPSe
programming development through the interface.

For debugging, if possible, you should try and develop your ECLiPSe code
using ECliPSe's development environment (Saros, as suggested by Paul, or
TkECLiPSe) before connecting it to Java. If this is not possible, and
you must debug your ECLiPSe code while running it through Java, you can
use lib(remote_tools) to connect the ECLiPSe development tools (used in
TkECLiPSe and also Saros) to any process running ECLiPSe code, even if
you are using RemoteECLiPSe and the ECLiPSe process is running on a
different machine from your Java code (and your remote tool -- you do
need to have ECLiPSe on your local machine so that you can run the
remote tools there).

For writing error handling code for ECLiPSe, this is best done in
ECLiPSe itself. By the time the execution of an ECLiPSe goal returns to
Java with an exception, it is rather late to handle the error (in
addition to the lack of facilities to do so).  Error handling in ECLiPSe
is discussed in the Events and Interrupts chapter of the User manual
(section 13.2 in the current version):

http://www.eclipse-clp.org/doc/userman/umsroot072.html

One way of handling errors would be to write your own error handlers for
the errors you want to handle, and in your error handler, you can
communicate with Java, giving your Java code the information you need on
the Java side about the error.

The default ECLiPSe error handlers should print their error messages in
the ECLiPSe error stream. Depending on how you set up your ECLiPSe peer,
  the error stream can either be connected to your JVM's stderr, or you
can connect it to your own FromECLiPSeQueue, this will allow you to see
the error message on the Java side, if you don't write your own error
handling code.

Hope the above helps,

Kish