Re: [eclipse-clp-users] ECLiPSe features for interactive configuration

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 17:57:55 +0100

> Some support is provided for monitoring violated constraints in
> libraries: lib(repair) and the newer lib(tentative). Note that these are
> libraries and you need to write your own code (in ECLiPSe) to use them,
> and are not `ready-made' tools.

I should have said that these tools are mainly for when you have a
complete assignment, i.e. have assigned some value for each problem
variable (in this case, the assignments are `tentative' and does not
bind the variable, in keeping with the logical semantics).

With propagation based constraint solvers, it is probably more normal to
not have a complete assignment as above. Instead, it is probably more
common to label the variables one by one, propagating the consequences
after each labelling, and if this leads to failure, backtrack and try to
label the last variable to a different value.

Cardiff, South Glamorgan CF10 5BT.