[eclipse-users] Eclipse or Else?

From: Amine Marref <marref_at_...83...>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 15:45:27 +0000
Hi Folks,

Can anybody spare some time to answer this very question.

I use Eclipse as a constraint solver in my research. I am not sure
though that this is the right investment.

The problems I model *all* have the following properties.

* All variables are integers.
* At least two thirds (2/3) of the variables have domain [0..1].
* Each variable in the other remaining third (1/3) of variables can take
a finite number of different values only, usually less than 20.
* The number of variables is in tens of thousands (50000 variables is
the average).
* All constraints are linear: addition, subtraction, and implication are
used.
* The objective function is non-linear, expressed as: (Obj=B1*C1 + B2*C2
+ ... + Bn*Cn) where Bi, Ci are integer variables.

Currently I use
bb_min(search(Vars,0,input_order,indomain_split,complete,[]) from
"branch_and_bound" to do the search (Vars is the list of all variables
in the program).

The search takes ages.

Any suggestions for improvement? Or is there a more appropriate
constraint solver for this?

Thanks a lot,

Amine.

--