Re: [eclipse-users] How to ic:search/6 with symmetry breaking during search (sbds) of lib(ic_sbds)?

From: Martin Berger <Martin.Berger_at_...59...>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 08:50:05 +0200
Hi Kish,

First of all, thanks for your answer!

In some points I wasn't really precise, so I try to clear it up a bit...

Kish Shen wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> I could not really help you with the symmetry breaking part of your
> question,  but as no one else have replied to your message yet, I
> thought I should reply and point out some points about the ECLiPSe code
> you presented -- I am not sure if the predicate you gave does what you
> intended:
>
> Martin Berger wrote:
>> rotate90(Var,Value,SymVar,SymValue) :-
>> (
>>     (not var(Value)) -> (
>>         Var is SymVar,
>>         (Value == 'left') ->  SymValue is 'rear' ; true,
>>         (Value == 'right') ->  SymValue is 'front' ; true,
>>         (Value == 'front') -> SymValue is 'left' ; true,
>>         (Value == 'rear') -> SymValue is 'right' ; true
>>     ) ; true
>> ).
>>

> Your bracketing for the if-then-else is unusual and probably does not do
> what you intend. Normally if-then-else would be bracketed in the
> following way:
>
> ( Cond -> Then ; Else)
>
> and I assume you intend the above to be:
>
>        (Value == 'left'  ->  SymValue is 'rear' ; true),
>        (Value == 'right' ->  SymValue is 'front' ; true),
>        (Value == 'front' -> SymValue is 'left' ; true),
>
> which is not what your bracketing does.

You are absolutely right! I forgot to put the closing brackets into the
example code! ;-)

> Secondly, I am not sure if
>
> SymValue is 'rear'

You are right again! I really should have pointed out, that 'rear' in my
example code represents a numeric value, i.e. the value 3. I tried to
make the example code more intuitive and "speaking" by replacing the
numeric value with the actual meaning of the value. Sorry for bringing
you on the wrong track!

> is doing what you intended. is/2 is used to evaluate arithmetic
> expressions, and  'rear'  is treated as a function call to rear/1, i.e.
> the above is equivalent to:
>
> rear(SymValue)
>
> and it is probably clearer to write it that way.
>
> If your intention is to assign the atom rear (you don't need the quotes
> for simple atoms like these) to SymValue, you should use =/2 instead of
> is/2:
>
> SymValue = real
>
> The last point is that I would be somewhat surprised if SymValue can be
> assigned to non-numeric values, as variables for lib(ic) can only take
> on numeric values (i.e. symbolic finite domain is not directly
> supported). However, this may just reflect my lack of knowledge for the
> symmetry breaking library.

See the antecedent explanation for the is/2 and =/2 issue.

Some further observations of mine on a smaller straightforward test
problem instance: I run my code on a problem where I know that there are
2 nonsymmetrical solutions. Without sbds my code is given me 4 solutions
where 2 of them are symmetrically equivalent to the former ones. When I
plug in sbds with my 8 symmetry predicates, the search comes up with
14317 solutions (only duplicates of the 4 solutions I got without sbds)!

Somehow even a lot more solutions are instantiated. Is it because I only
exchange (in a symmetrical sense) the values and not the variables?

Anyway, Kish thanks for pointing out the inprecise parts of my explanation!

Cheers,

Martin