Re: [eclipse-users] tkeclipse doesn't run

From: Joachim Schimpf <js10_at_...2...>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 20:26:28 +0100
112358_at_...52... wrote:
> Hello, i swear i looked for an answer to my problem everywhere, but in
> vain. I installed ECLiPSe 5.10_53 from the autoinstaller on windows 2000
> sp 4, choosing the full installation (so that installed also tcl/tk
> etc). Doseclipse works, while when i try to start tkeclipse, i receive
> the following error in a window titled "error in startup script":
> http://avanguardie.netsons.org/tke.jpg .
> I obviously tried to uninstall and reinstall several times (3 or 4), and
> even tried 5.10_63; always same problem.
> I can only guess it is a path problem, even if my path variable contains
> the eclipse\lib_tcl, eclipse\ and tcl\bin directories and i can't
> imagine what else could be necessary.
> The only thing i noticed is that while when i installed succesfuly
> eclipse on another computer, the tcl/tk installer asked me to reboot,
> this never happened when i performed (the 3-4 times) the installation on
> mine, so i am tempted to think that in my case the tcl/tk installer
> "forgot" or failed to set an appropriate variable or windows registry key.

It is somewhat mysterious...

I don't think is is a PATH problem.  None of the eclipse-directories
actually need to be in the PATH.  ...\Tcl\bin should be in the PATH,
but it is put there by the Tcl installer, and you seem to have it.

Since you get as far as you get, it seems tcl starts up alright,
and even one of the eclipse dlls (tkexdr.dll) is successfully
loaded, but the other (tkeclipse.dll) is not.

First thing would be to check the files in
C:\Program Files\ECLiPSe 5.10\lib\i386_nt
and see if tkeclipse.dll and it dependencies eclipse.dll and gmp33.dll
are all there (but since you say doseclipse runs, this would
indicate that eclipse.dll and gmp33.dll must both be ok).

Have you actually rebooted your machine after installing Tcl?
Have you installed from an account with administrator privileges?
Are you running from the same account that you installed from?

-- Joachim