Re: [eclipse-users] Max OS X install

From: Joachim Schimpf <js10_at_...2...>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 13:44:51 +0000
Hi Malcolm,

I have checked in a few changes addressing the problems you encountered.

To get the corresponding source, get the latest version of the
Eclipse 5.10 patch branch from the Sourceforge repository as follows:

export CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous:_at_eclipse-clp.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/eclipse-clp
cvs checkout -r patches_5_10 Eclipse

Malcolm Ryan wrote:
> I decided to bite the bullet and try to compile Eclipse on my Intel
> Mac. Here's my progress so far:
>
> Step 1) ./configure --build=powerpc-foo-darwin
>
> This seems to be enough to convince 'configure' that I'm building on
> a PPC Mac, which is close enough for starters.

configure should now recognise the Intel Mac, using the ECLiPSe
architecture name i386_macosx.  I have also added support for
building without gmp to make initial porting easier.
Try to configure as follows:

./configure --without-gmp

> Step 2) Comiling sepia gives:

> Step 3) Linking sepia objects gives:

I have fixed these bugs.

> Step 4) When trying to build libeclipse.dylib there is a libtool error:
>
> libtool: can't locate file for: -lgcc
> libtool: file: -lgcc is not an object file (not allowed in a library)
>
> Removed the -lgcc from line 1653 of configure:
>
>      DYNLDFLAGS="-dynamic -single_module -flat_namespace -lgcc"

Not sure about this.

> Step 5) Now libtool gives a different error:
>
> /usr/local/lib/libgmp.a(add_n.o) has local relocation entries in non-
> writable section

If you build without gmp support, this shouldn't occur.

-- Joachim