Re: [eclipse-users] Max OS X install

From: Malcolm Ryan <malcolmr_at_...25...>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 16:24:16 +1100
I decided to bite the bullet and try to compile Eclipse on my Intel
Mac. Here's my progress so far:

Step 1) ./configure --build=powerpc-foo-darwin

This seems to be enough to convince 'configure' that I'm building on
a PPC Mac, which is close enough for starters.

Step 2) Comiling sepia gives:

In file included from ../src/lex.c:54:
../include/rounding_control.h:335: error: parse error before '/' token
../src/lex.c: In function 'lex_an':

There is a stray */ on line 335 on rounding_control.h
Removing this line means sepia will compile, but:

Step 3) Linking sepia objects gives:

/usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
_ec_fpu_round_orig_

This is because intervals.c has multiple definitions for
ec_fpu_round_orig_ depending on your architecture, and it doesn't
have one for Intel Macs. I just change line 162 from:

#elif defined(__POWERPC__) && defined(__APPLE__) && defined(__MACH__)
     int ec_fpu_round_orig_;

to:

#elif defined(__APPLE__)
     int ec_fpu_round_orig_;

This seems to do the trick

Step 4) When trying to build libeclipse.dylib there is a libtool error:

libtool: can't locate file for: -lgcc
libtool: file: -lgcc is not an object file (not allowed in a library)

Removed the -lgcc from line 1653 of configure:

     DYNLDFLAGS="-dynamic -single_module -flat_namespace -lgcc"

Step 5) Now libtool gives a different error:

/usr/local/lib/libgmp.a(add_n.o) has local relocation entries in non-
writable section

This one has me stuck. Poking around the web seems to indicate that
others have had this problem with libgmp on the Mac, but I cannot
find any answers yet. It may be a fundamental problem with GMP.

Malcolm