[eclipse-users] Question about job shop scheduling problem

From: William Heath <wgheath_at_...6...>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 12:25:00 -0700
Hi All,

I am still a little new to constraint programming and absolutely new to
Eclipse clp.
One of my bigger questions is how to handle the issue of constraint failure
when using a constraint based approach to scheduling with something like
lpsolve or glpk.  I don't understand how to recover elegantly.  For example
if I have a job that takes 1000000 seconds and my machine is only available
8 hours a day, how can I tell the linear program to split the job up in 8
hour segements etc...?  I am also still wanting to find a tutor if you know
of any.  What I do now is make a constraint that no job can be scheduled
during the down time of a machine.  Obviously this causes a problem because
this job won't fit in any time slot as it is too large.  I was looking
through the features, is this called repair based search?  I think this is a
kind of back tracking right?

Thanks,

Tim