Re: Using branch and bound library

From: <wh_at_icparc.ic.ac.uk>
Date: Thu 09 Jun 2005 01:08:30 PM GMT
On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 06:33:47PM +0300, mohamed mostafa wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
> when I use minimize/2 predicate, sometimes I find an error message
> " search did not instantiate cost variable ",
> what does this means ?, and How can I overcome this??

The documentation for minimize(Goal, Cost) refers you to bb_min/2, and the
second sentence in the description for that predicate says:

    "Cost should be a variable that is affected, and eventually
    instantiated, by Goal."

That is, Goal is expected to completely solve the problem, and once the
problem is solved, Cost should be known (fixed, and not a variable).  The
error message indicates that Cost had not been fixed when Goal completed;
you should find out why Goal did not instantiate the cost, and modify it
appropriately to correct the problem.

Cheers,
Warwick