Re: Using timeout

From: Pedro Leite Rocha <djavan_at_dcc.ufmg.br>
Date: Mon 11 Aug 2003 01:01:43 PM GMT
Thanks a lot. That was very helpful. But now I have another doubt.

I'm running a series of tests and saving the results into a file. However,
I've been unable to save the cpu time it took the program to find the best
solution. How can I do that?

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003, Joachim Schimpf wrote:

> Pedro Leite Rocha wrote:
> >
> > Hello. I'm new at usinge eclipse, and I have this problem I wanna solve. I
> > want my computer to try finding the best solution for 5 hours max, but I'm
> > having some trouble with the timeout library. The program I wrote gives me
> > the solution in two arrays of two dimensions. I want the program to give
> > me the last solution it found. How do I do that?
>

> It depends a bit on what solvers you are using. If you use fd or ic,
> the easiest is to use lib(branch_and_bound), which has a timeout option:
>
> :- lib(ic).
> :- lib(branch_and_bound).
>
> ?- X::0..10000000,
>    Cost #= -X,
>    bb_min(labeling([X]), Cost, bb_options with [timeout:1]).
>
> Found a solution with cost 0
> Found a solution with cost -1
> Found a solution with cost -247
> Branch-and-bound timeout!
> X = 247
> Cost = -247
> Yes (0.58s cpu)
>
> The branch-and-bound procedure bb_min keeps finding better solutions
> until the timeout occurs. It then returns the best result so far.
>

> --
>  Joachim Schimpf              /             phone: +44 20 7594 8187
>  IC-Parc                     /      mailto:J.Schimpf@imperial.ac.uk
>  Imperial College London    /    http://www.icparc.ic.ac.uk/eclipse

Temais.

     /   |=====================================|
   /   \ |  Pedro Leite Rocha                  |
   \___/ |    djavan@dcc.ufmg.br               |
   /   \ |     pedro@ufmg.br                   |
 \___/   |   "Se isto esta vazio,              |
 /   \   |      isto nao importa."             |
 \   /   |                      (Dickie Fox)   |