Re: eclipse 5.5 gives error sometimes?

From: Joachim Schimpf <j.schimpf_at_icparc.ic.ac.uk>
Date: Wed 27 Nov 2002 05:04:55 PM GMT
Sebastian Sardina wrote:

> I installed eclipse 5.5 in two red hat 8 machines. in one, everything
> works fine. in the other one I get:
>
> [ssardina@cogrobo ssardina]$ eclipse
>
> *** ECLiPSe fatal error: Cannot reserve stack space in alloc_stack_pairs()

I don't have redhat 8 and cannot reproduce this on any machine
we have available.

A freshly started eclipse should consume less than 5MB of memory
(by the way, real memory is irrelevant here, what counts is
virtual memory, i.e. swap space).

When you run top(1) or free(1) you should see an increase in
memory usage of max 5MB for every eclipse you start. If you
see anything different, let us know.

> strange, I did an strace and here is where the error seems to be:
>
> mmap2(NULL, 268435456, PROT_NONE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0) = -1
> ENOMEM (Cannot allocate memory)

Eclipse does this call in order to reserve address space for the
stacks (default 2*128MB). This call should not actually consume any
memory or reserve swap space, at least it doesn't in the Solaris and
Linux versions we use for testing. I hope this has not changed
in recent Linux kernels... It might also be a bug in Redhat 8.

> It seems my machine (64Mb) does not have sufficient memory to run eclipse
> as it is.
> If I use -g 50M to set the global stack to 50Mb, then it works!
>
> shouldn't eclipse recognize how much memory the machine has available?

As I said above, the only limit should be swap space, not real
memory. Moreover, the memory for the global stack does not get
allocated all at once, but incrementally as the stack grows.
If that should be broken in Redhat 8, we need to look into it.

--
 Joachim Schimpf              /             phone: +44 20 7594 8187
 IC-Parc, Imperial College   /            mailto:J.Schimpf@ic.ac.uk