RE: String representation of an Eclipse Term

From: josh singer <josh.singer_at_parc-technologies.com>
Date: Thu 13 Dec 2001 05:27:56 PM GMT
Hi Roland,

I'm glad you asked this question. We deliberately changed the behaviour of
toString() as it was misleading a lot of developers. The trouble is that
java does not know enough about the ECLiPSe term to produce from it a string
which is both human-readable and reliably ECLiPSe-readable.

The best way to convert a term to a string so that it has these properties
is to use the writeq/2 predicate on the ECLiPSe side, i.e. something like

term2String(YourTerm, YourString):-
  open(string(""), update, StringStream),
  writeq(StringStream, YourTerm),
  get_stream_info(StringStream, name, YourString),
  close(StringStream).

tempest: eclipse -b test.pl
ECLiPSe Constraint Logic Programming System [kernel]
Copyright Imperial College London and ICL
Certain libraries copyright Parc Technologies Ltd
GMP library copyright Free Software Foundation
Version 5.3 #41, Sat Nov 24 13:49 2001
[eclipse 1]:  term2String('_yarg'(snoll, "grotch", 4+5), String).

String = "'_yarg'(snoll, \"grotch\", 4 + 5)"
Yes (0.00s cpu)
[eclipse 2]:

We considered putting something in the Java interface which would have been
a wrapper for the writeq/2 builtin, but decided against it.

BTW I think the use of writeq/2 instead of toString() was hinted at in the
release notes page "Changes to the Java-ECLiPSe Interface, v5.2 to v5.3".

hope this helps.

josh

Developer, Parc Technologies Limited
josh.singer@parc-technologies.com
http://www.parc-technologies.com

This e-mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s)
-its contents are the property of Parc Technologies Limited (or its
licensors) and are confidential. Please do not copy, review, use
(except for the intended purposes), disclose or distribute the e-mail
or its contents (or allow anyone else to do so) without our prior
permission. Parc Technologies Limited does not guarantee that this
e-mail has not been intercepted and amended nor that it is
virus-free. You should carry out your own virus checks before opening
any attachment.  Any opinions expressed in this e-mail message are
those of the author and not necessarily Parc Technologies Limited.