Re: Strange behaviour of profile

From: Joachim Schimpf <j.schimpf_at_icparc.ic.ac.uk>
Date: Tue 10 Apr 2001 12:03:00 PM GMT
Ulrich Scholz wrote:

> I'm using eclipse 5.1.0.  Is there a known problem with the build-in
> `profile'-Predicate.  It's output sometimes reports time spent in predicates
> which are not called, but which are present in the source files.

The profiler is the most hardware/operating system
dependent part of Eclipse because it uses a timer
sampling technique that interrupts the running program
every 10ms and tries to find out which predicate is
currently being executed.

This is currently only implemented on SunOS4/5 and Linux.
The SunOS results are usually reliable, but we know that
on Linux we always seem to get a certain amount of faulty
samples.

>  This goes away after exiting and restarting eclipse.

That's an interesting observation - I hadn't noticed that.
There also seems to be a problem with time being reported
in the wrong built-ins since version 5.0.

We'll try to find some time to address these problems
in version 5.2 which is scheduled for release in May!

Best wishes,
--
 Joachim Schimpf              /             phone: +44 20 7594 8187
 IC-Parc, Imperial College   /            mailto:J.Schimpf@ic.ac.uk