Re: [eclipse-clp-users] Find all of THESE such that there exist THOSE

From: Joachim Schimpf <jschimpf_at_coninfer.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2013 14:48:21 +0100
On 02/10/2013 00:16, mskala_at_ansuz.sooke.bc.ca wrote:
> I have a constraint program with 25 main variables (and several hundred
> others that depend on them).  I would like to make a list of all vectors
> of values for 9 of the variables such that at least one solution exists
> for all the variables; but I don't care about the satisfying values of the
> other 16, nor how many solutions exist for them, only the fact that some
> satisfying assignment exists given the first 9.  I expect the list of
> results to have maybe a few thousand entries on it, but that's only a
> guesstimate; the ones I've generated so far vary wildly in length and how
> long they turn out to be is one of my research questions.  It takes a few
> seconds to a minute to solve each constraint problem (also varying
> wildly) so I'm looking at a few CPU-hours to CPU-days to generate each
> list, and that's acceptable, but more speed is always welcome.
>
> What I've been doing is this:
>
> * Search for any solution to the whole problem and capture the 9 variables
>    I care about; call the vector of them S.
> * Recursively search for solutions with the constraint that the 9
>    variables, as a vector,  are lexicographically less than S.
> * Return S on backtracking through this point.
> * Recursively search for solutions with the constraint that the 9
>    variables, as a vector, are lexicographically greater than S.
>
> That gives me the whole list of vectors of my 9 variables for which
> satisfying assignments to the entire problem exist; in lexicographic
> order, even.  The main point is NOT to do more than one search through all
> assignments of the remaining variables once we have one to return.  And it
> works pretty well.  In particular, it works better than searching just the
> 9 variables first and then searching the rest of the problem inside of
> once/1, because that approach messes up the variable selection heuristic
> in the search.  But it still seems like I may be doing extra work because
> of searching from the top of the tree on every recursive call, even with
> the lexicographic constraint pruning those trees.  It seems like maybe
> there ought to be something possible akin to what the branch and bound
> library does, restarting searches in the middle as solutions are
> accumulated.
>
> So my question is, is there a known clever way to do this sort of thing
> efficiently?

Hi Matthew,

your approach is similar to what branch-and-bound (with 'restart' strategy)
does, and also similar to the topological branch-and bound algorithm in Propia.
Both, after every new solution, restart the goal with additional constraints.

Beyond that, library(branch_and_bound) implements the 'continue' strategy,
which does _not_ restart the search, and is pretty close to what you envisage.
It uses an undocumented ECLiPSe feature called fail-events to dynamically
impose newly learned (bound-)constraints during the search process.  It
should be possible to use the same technique in your case.  Please have
a look at the source of bb_continue/8 in library branch_and_bound.pl.
I hope I have commented it sufficiently, otherwise please contact me.

Cheers,
Joachim