22.3 Exploiting the features of ECLiPSe
When rewriting existing applications as well as when writing new programs,
it is useful to bear in mind important ECLiPSe features which can make
programs easier to write and/or faster:
Compiler features relevant for performance can be found in section
- Use ECLiPSe’s nonlogical
which are usually more suitable to store permanent data than
assert/1 is, and are usually
- ECLiPSe has a number of language extensions which make programming
easier, see chapter 5.
- The predicates get_flag/2, get_flag/3,
get_file_info/3, get_stream_info/3 and
give a lot of useful information about the system and the data.
- The ECLiPSe macros often help to solve syntactic problems
(see chapter 12).
- The TkECLiPSe GUI provides many features that should make
developing programs easier than with the traditional tty interface.
- It is worth familiarising oneself with the debugger’s features,
see chapter 14.
- ECLiPSe is highly customizable, even problems which seemingly
require modification of the ECLiPSe sources
can very often be solved at the Prolog level.