22.3 Exploiting ECLiPSe Features
When rewriting existing applications as well as when writing new programs,
it is useful to bear in mind important ECLiPSe features which can make
programs easier to write and/or faster:
The maximum performance is obtained when calling nodbgcomp/0
at the beginning of the session, before compiling any program and loading
- ECLiPSe arrays and global variables (setval/2, getval/2) are usually
more suitable to store permanent data than assert/1 is, and are usually
- ECLiPSe has a number of language extensions which make programming
easier, see chapter 5.
- The predicates get_flag/2, get_flag/3,
get_file_info/3, get_stream_info/3, get_var_info/3
give a lot of useful information about the system and the data.
- The ECLiPSe macros often help to solve syntactic problems
(see chapter 12).
- The TkECLiPSe GUI provides many features that should make
developing programs easier than with the traditional tty interface.
- It is worth familiarising oneself with the debugger's features,
see chapter 14.
- ECLiPSe is highly customizable, even problems which seemingly
require modification of the ECLiPSe sources
can very often be solved at the Prolog level.