Question about cross products of finite sets

From: Ulrich Scholz <scholz_at_informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>
Date: Fri 14 Jan 2005 01:46:43 PM GMT
Dear all,

sorry about abusing this mailing list for general questions about
constraint satisfaction.  The reason is that I got really helpful
answers in the past.  I hope you don't mind.

I'm looking for an efficient way to manage and reason over cross
products of finite sets.  For example, if P is a predicate with two
parameters and each parameter has a finite domain then I'm looking for
an efficient way to encode and manipulate arbitrary sets of ground
instantiations of P.

Obviously, such an encoding would be of much help in developing, e.g.,
planning applications.  Especially, if it would be integrated into a
constraint solver.

My first guess is the use of OBDDs.  But maybe there is other work out
there.  I would be grateful if you could point me to it.

Thank you, Uli

--
Ulrich Scholz

scholz@informatik.tu-darmstadt.de