RE: Problem with repeatedly compiling files with partly the same content and EmbeddedEclipse

From: josh singer <josh.singer_at_parc-technologies.com>
Date: Thu 13 Mar 2003 10:14:34 AM GMT
Hi Cornelius,

Every eclipse goal which gets executed has a "caller" module. This can be
qualified explicitly by the @/2 meta predicate, e.g.

foo(a,b) @ bar

calls predicate foo/2 *from* module bar.

When in the tkeclipse toplevel you change the drop down module to (X), or
when in the CLI eclipse you use module(X) on the command line, you are
changing the active module. However the active module is purely a property
of the toplevel in tkeclipse/CLI eclipse. In these environments, while the
active module is X, every unqualified goal (i.e. every goal called without
@) implicitly has X as its caller module. So changing the active module to X
in these two environments is really just a convenience for "please stick '@
X' on the end of every goal I call from now until I say otherwise".

The Java interface is not an interactive toplevel like TkEclipse/CLI eclipse
so doesn't have conveniences like this, although I seem to recall that you
can set the default module once per EclipseEngine in the EclipseOptions.
Either way, you can still use the @/2 predicate from Java's rpc as it is is
a standard eclipse builtin. This should allow you to create a module,
compile facts into it or alter its state whichever way you like, and then
erase it from another module, e.g.

[eclipse 2]: module(d).
WARNING: creating a new module in module(d)
[d 3]: module(eclipse).
[eclipse 4]: erase_module(d) @ d.
trying to erase a module from itself in erase_module(d)
Abort
[eclipse 5]: module(c).
WARNING: creating a new module in module(c)
[c 6]: module(eclipse).
[eclipse 7]: erase_module(d) @ c.

Yes (0.00s cpu)
[eclipse 8]:

The point is, in your case, that you don't have to compile stuff into module
'eclipse'. Hope this helps.

josh

Developer, Parc Technologies Limited
josh.singer@parc-technologies.com
http://www.parc-technologies.com

This e-mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s)
-its contents are the property of Parc Technologies Limited (or its
licensors) and are confidential. Please do not copy, review, use
(except for the intended purposes), disclose or distribute the e-mail
or its contents (or allow anyone else to do so) without our prior
permission. Parc Technologies Limited does not guarantee that this
e-mail has not been intercepted and amended nor that it is
virus-free. You should carry out your own virus checks before opening
any attachment.  Any opinions expressed in this e-mail message are
those of the author and not necessarily Parc Technologies Limited.