request of feature: case statement

From: Ulrich Scholz <scholz_at_inferenzsysteme.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>
Date: Sat 21 Dec 2002 10:43:52 AM GMT
Dear all,

ECLiPSe provides iterators like foreach and friends - and they do their job.
What is missing is a case statement.  Sometimes you just have 20+ different
mutually exclusive cases and you want to be sure that one of them is taken
(else-case).

Of course, choice points, two or more applicable cases, and unification issues
make it difficult to choose among several design choices.  nevertheless, I am
sure a case statement with restrictions similar to those of foreach could be
simple and useful in ECLiPSe.

On the other hand, there might be an easy way to do it right now - an I'm just
too blind to see it myself.  Then, you should give me a gracious hint.

Thanks and seasons greetings to all of you,

Uli
--
Ulrich Scholz

scholz@informatik.tu-darmstadt.de