Re: problem in eclipse 5.0 ?

From: Joachim Schimpf <j.schimpf_at_icparc.ic.ac.uk>
Date: Thu 28 Sep 2000 02:52:43 PM GMT
Christophe Meudec wrote:

> I include the following session which makes eclipse version 5.0
> crash.
> It used to work with version 4.2
>
> [eclipse 3]: I::1..10, assert(f(I)).

Apologies, this should have been in the release notes:
In release 5 it is no longer allowed to compile terms containing
attributed variables (fd variable are attributed variables,
and assert invokes the compiler). You should of course get
a proper error message, but due to an unrelated bug eclipse
crashes while printing the error message...

The reason to withdraw this feature was, apart from certain
conceptual difficulties, the introduction of fcompile and the
precompiled .eco file format, which cannot easily support this.

Depending on what you want to do with the asserted term, you
can alternatively

- replace the attributed variable with a standard one before
asserting, thus losing the domain information (you can use
sepia_kernel:copy_term/3 to strip the attributes).

- use record/2 instead of assert. This will preserve the domain
information and should also be more efficient than assert.

It is almost always a bad idea to use assert/1 in Eclipse.
If you tell us what you want to achieve, we can probably
suggest a better solution.

 Joachim Schimpf              /             phone: +44 20 7594 8187
 IC-Parc, Imperial College   /            mailto:J.Schimpf@ic.ac.uk
 London SW7 2AZ, UK         /    http://www.icparc.ic.ac.uk/eclipse