[eclipse-clp-users] set_flag(after_event_timer, virtual) on Linux

From: Chris Meudec <Chris.Meudec_at_...438...>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2024 20:54:34 +0000
HI,
I am using ECLiPSe 7.1 on Ubuntu, and using after events for the first time.

all is well except that the flag after_event_timer is set on "real" timer by default which I take to be "real time elapsed since the start of the ECLiPSe session" in other words wall-time which does not represent processing time (or cpu time) due to OS scheduling.

When in Linux  (Ubuntu 24.04) I do:

set_flag(after_event_timer, virtual). %causes out of range when set to virtual (what I need I think) but is ok for real: checked in tkeclipse and from CLI

So it looks like it is no longer available in Linux either. It's no big deal, I think, but it will introduce variability in execution making some results hard to reproduce as I use after events to abort (via an exception) some of my optimisation problems searches.

Also the documentation says: "In addition, the users should not make use of these timers for their own purposes if they plan to use the after event mechanism." in last sentence of paragraph 14.1.2 which I do not understand.

I would like to set an after event that is associated with user cputime to avoid variations between runs: is that possible in Linux?

And although I am not quite there yet, if and when I do move to using Engine and Threads I am right to assume that every thread (engine?) will use its own 'real' time (assuming cpu time is not available)?

Thanks for the support.
Chris

--
Dr Chris Meudec<http://www.echancrure.eu/> (he/him) Maitrise, PhD, MA (T&L)
Lecturer in Software Development

Kilkenny Road Campus, Kilkenny Road, Carlow, R93 V960, Ireland
Campas Bhóthar Chill Chainnigh, Bóthar Chill Chainnigh, Ceatharlach, R93 V960, Éire