Re: [eclipse-clp-users] X is p(a) +1. from Apt/Wallace book

From: Kish Shen <kish.shen_at_...6...>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2021 20:18:26 +0100
Hi Doug,

>How does this work?  I don't understand how p(a,1) becomes numeric.

I think maybe I did not fully understand your question in my previous reply.

p(a, 1) is numeric because the last argument is numeric - The leturn value of
the ast argument of p(a, 1), i.e. 1,  replaces p(1) in the original expression,

When ECLiPSe encounters p(a) when evaluating the expression, In place
of p(a), p(a, Z) is called, and Z replaces p(a). Of course, if p/2 is
not defined,
or if the last argument does not return a numeric value, you will get
a run-time error.

The same applies to the built-in operators, like +/2:

A is 3 + 4 is replaced by
+(3, 4, Z),  A  = Z.

You can see this when there is an error:

[eclipse 28]: A is 4 + X.
instantiation fault in +(4, X, _278)
Abort