Re: [eclipse-clp-users] MacOS builds of recent versions

From: Kish Shen <kish.shen_at_...6...>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2016 02:02:23 +0100
Hi Daniel,

>I noticed that the latest MacOS build of Eclipse is 6.1.164 from 2013,
while the Linux and Windows versions are up to date.

There is a somewhat more recent Mac OS X version (6.1#194 from 2014) on
Sourceforge:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/eclipse-clp/files/Binaries%20x86-64%20MacOSX%2064bit/

The Mac OS X version of ECLiPSe was not really part of the 'official'
build, as we did not have any Mac in our build and test infra structure for
ECLiPSe. I have a personal Mac which I build the ECLiPSe Mac OS X
distribution for Sourceforge. My intention was that the updates there would
be more like releases of other software, i.e. when there are
sufficient/significant changes for a new update. However I really haven't
been updating the sourceforge release as often as I should. I will try and
build and put a new update there soon.

>or can I just compile the latest (6.1.222) source myself?

>If I can, should I? :)

I would encourage you to try to compile it, especially if you have a recent
(last 2-3 years) version of Mac OS X.

My Mac still has Mac OS X 10.6, and the xcode I have compiles ECLiPSe
without any problems. However, my xcode is quite old, and Apple have
switched to using clang instead of gcc as the C/C++ compiler, and I would
be interested to know if the new xcode can compile and build ECLiPSe. I
think you may need to install the compiler tool chain for command line use,
as everything is only done through an IDE by default now. Also there may be
issues with using clang rather than gcc, as we rely on compiling 'computed
goto' feature of gcc for efficient ECLiPSe execution. I understand that
clang is supposed to be highly compatible with gcc, so it may be able to
compile our code that uses  computed gotos.