Re: [eclipse-clp-users] ECLIPSE IDE - Saros

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2015 06:28:56 +0100
Hi Shrirang,

On 01/07/2015 01:42, Edgaonkar, Shrirang wrote:

>    Is there an IDE for EClipse? Had a look at FAQs which describe Saros as one of the plugins for EclipseIDE. But Saros does not sound anywhere like one.
>

> http://www.saros-project.org/home

'but Saros does not sound anywhere like one' -- are you referring to the
Saros you gave the link to? This is *not* the Saros referred to in the FAQ.

The Saros you are looking for is available for browsing/download from
ECLiPSe's Sourceforge CVS:

http://eclipse-clp.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/eclipse-clp/Saros/

This provide the same set of development tools as TkECLiPSe/TkTools
(they use the same code on the ECLiPSe side), along with EclipseIDE's
editor, although I think the editor is quite basic, i.e. little if any
ECLiPSe specific features are supported.

However, Saros is not being developed at the moment, as the original
developer is no longer working on it (or ECLiPSe), and neither Joachim
or I are really in a position to develop it. We are looking for a
developer/maintainer for Saros:

http://eclipseclp.org/reports/roadmap.html

> With growing lines of code maintainence, formatting etc is getting critical.

I am not sure I understand. Are you relying on the IDE's editor to do
all the lay out/formatting of your code? While an IDE's editor can help,
you should be able to do some formatting yourself in any text editor.
The ECLiPSe manual (and any Prolog text book) has suggestions on how
Prolog program should be formatted.

As also mentioned in the FAQ, ECLiPSe support is provided for several
editors. The support for emacs is the most extensive, and probably
provide many of the features you expect from an IDE, such as auto
indentation and line break for formatting support. You can even run
ECLiPLSe from inside emacs, and attach TkTools to the ECLiPSe process,
so supporting even more IDE-lke functionality.

Many text editors without ECLiPSe (or Prolog) support can still provide
useful help, e.g. open-close brackets matching. I think you work on
Windows, and NotePad++ looks to be a good editor to use. It looks like
there is even support for Prolog (syntax highlighting etc.), although I
have not tried them.