Re: [eclipse-clp-users] ECLiPSe on Mountain Lion (OS X 10.8)

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2012 00:15:23 +0100
Hi Dave,

On 08/10/2012 19:31, David Dreisigmeyer wrote:
> This seems to work for x86_64_macosx:
>
> if [ -z $GCCLIBDIR ]; then
> GCCLIBDIR="."
> fi
>
> I get many errors along the lines of:
>
> Eplex error: Could not find any of the solver interfaces:
> [ list, of, things, that, were, not, found ]
>
> How can I avoid these?

I am puzzled by why you are seeing this message, especially if you are
seeing it many times. I need more context to see why you are getting
this message.

This is an error message that should only be generated if you try to
load lib(eplex) into a running ECLiPSe, and you don't have eplex built
correctly. I am not sure where the build process will try to load eplex,
particularly if configure did not find any solvers for eplex -- which I
assume is what happened in your case since you have not set
ECLIPSETHIRDPARTY. In this case, the make should not try to build eplex
at all.

> Also, what third-party packages are needed by ECLiPSe?  I know OS X 10.8
> has gmp and tcl 8.5.* on it aso I'd need to sym link those.  Beyond that
> what else would be needed?  Is there anything else that should be done
> beyond the third-party libraries?

Strictly speaking, you don't need any third party packages (the ones
that go into the ECLIPSETHIRDPARTY directory) to build a basic version
of ECLiPSe. You are strongly recommended to have GMP or GMP-compatible
library for bignums, because one (I think) library -- ic -- cannot be
compiled by the restricted ECLiPSe compiler. I don't think you need Tcl
to build ECLiPSe, but without Tcl, the GUI version of ECLiPSe
(TkECLiPSe) would not be available.

For the other packages, you don't need them unless you want to use a
library that need/interface to them, e.g. one of the supported  MP
solver for eplex.

Note that the configure script will only search for 4.1 and 4.2 versions
of GMP, as the license for GMP changed from an earlier version of LGPL
to version 3 LGPL. These are rather old versions of GMP, and it is
unlikely that the version you have in 10.8 will be one of this. We
haven't tried newer versions of GMP because we have been told that we
cannot use any software that has version 3 of LGPL, but my guess is that
this restriction does not apply to you if you compile ECLiPSe yourself,
but you probably need to modify the configure script.

However, as stated in the Setup guide, we recommend that you use MPIR
(the version you could use is mentioned there, as MPIR has also gone
LGPL 3.0, but the older version with LGPL 2 is still readily available
because it is not LGPL 3.0)