Re: [eclipse-clp-users] ECLiPSe on Mountain Lion (OS X 10.8)

From: <mskala_at_...206...>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2012 13:24:54 -0500 (CDT)
On Sun, 7 Oct 2012, Paulo Moura wrote:
> have stuff like GMP or GraphViz installed? Do ECLiPSe developers really
> expect users to reinstall third-party software in non-standard locations
> just to compile ECLiPSe? Specially when virtually all other Prolog

I was upset by this when I discovered it, too.  However, it's not quite as
bad as requiring a reinstall of everything.  I got good results by
building a directory full of symlinks to where the packages actually were,
and pointing the environment variable at the link farm.

I think the bigger problem than not accepting a "standard" location is
that ECLiPSe expects everything to be installed in the *same* location
(standard or not).  When I needed to recompile ECLiPSe with third-party
library support, I was doing so at a university where all the third-party
packages had been installed by our IT department, not in /usr/local and
not all in one place.  Especially given that some of them were expensive
commercial packages, I didn't have the opportunity to reinstall them or to
change where they were installed.  Being able to tell ECLiPSe "use
/usr/local", or any single "standard" place, wouldn't have helped.
What's really needed is what everybody else does - have a separate
configuration setting for each third-party package.
--
Matthew Skala
mskala_at_...206...                 People before principles.