Re: [eclipse-clp-users] error

From: Joachim Schimpf <jschimpf_at_...311...>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 00:08:58 +0200
On 27/09/2012 21:31, Anshu Shankar Prasad wrote:
> I am getting an error like as while running my program.
> *** Overflow of the global/trail stack in spite of garbage collection!
> You can use the "-g kBytes" (GLOBALSIZE) option to have a larger stack.
> Peak sizes were: global stack 130944 kbytes, trail stack 4224 kbytes
>
> Help me in this.What shoul I do in this?

As the message says, you have filled up the global/trail stack.
This area is where most of the runtime data structures of an
ECLiPSe program are allocated (see the user manual chapter
"Memory Organisation and Garbage Collection").

There are basically 2 possibilities:

1. you are accidentally allocating unlimited amounts of memory,
for example because a recursion does not terminate as expected.
Use the tracer to find out where it happens.

2. your program really requires that much memory: in that case,
start eclipse with a larger stack.  In a command-line eclipse
you do that by giving a -g option (e.g. -g 500M for 500 megabytes).
In tkeclipse, you open the Preference Editor, edit the Global/trail
stack size entry, save preferences, and restart tkeclipse.

Cheers,
Joachim