[eclipse-clp-users] handling floats in objective function using the Flatzinc library

From: Martin Michalowski <martin.michalowski_at_...341...>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 16:27:28 -0500
Hi,
We have been using ECLiPSe in some of our research as the backend solver for models defined using Minizinc.  We have come across an issue that maybe someone on the list could help clarify.  We pass the flatzinc representation of our model to ECLiPSe where the objective function to be minimized or maximized contains a product expression with floats (specifically ones that are <1.0 and represent probabilities).  The solution returned is the same no matter if we are maximizing or minimizing the objective function.  If we change this expression to contain integers rather than floats (or floats > 1.0) we get the expected behavior from ECLiPSe (different answers based on either maximizing or minimizing the objective function).

I would be happy to provide the models if requested.

Best,
Martin

--
Martin Michalowski, Ph.D.
Principal Research Scientist, Adventium Labs