Re: [eclipse-clp-users] bb_min and C

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 19:03:34 +0000
Hi Bogdan,

This is the second post you have made about using the C interface, and I
think the first thing to say is that you should avoid using the C (or
any of the other interfaces to other languages in ECLiPSe) interface to
write ECLiPSe programs. That's not what the interfaces are designed for,
i.e. it is not designed for making ECLiPSe a solver library for C (or C++).

The best way to use the interface is to post goals with simple arguments
from C, and then do most of the work of constructing the required data
structures etc. in ECLiPSe, and pass back the required results, again in
simple data structures, back to C. While it is possible to construct
complex data structures in C, this is quite tedious, and easy to get
wrong (including being able to construct incorrect data structures which
could then lead to hard to debug errors).

Your data structures may be relatively simple as ECLiPSe structures, but
they are already quite complex, and you obviously are having problems
with them. So the best suggestion I can make is: don't do this in C.

As for your specific problem: you are posting the bb_options as an atom,
and this is giving you an type error because bb_options should not be an
atom. This is in actaully a good illustration of why you should not
write ECLiPSe progrsm in C: The bb_options{...} is a named structure,  a
short-hand for a bb_options structure, which is expanded by the parser,
and is designed to hide implementation details like what the exact size
of bb_options is, and what the various arguments of the structure is
used for. However, if you are constructing the goal from C, then you
need to construct the "raw" structure, i.e. do the work of the parser in
this case, that is, you need to construct the raw bb_options data
structure, and in your case, put the strategy option you are using in
the correct argument position.

You can post a goal that does get parsed from C, by posting the goal as
a string (ec_post_string()). However, in this case, you don't have
direct access to the arguments in the goal, and in addition, you need to
worry about the mostly quite subtle differences between string syntax in
C and ECLiPSe, especially if you have a complicated goal (again, my
suggestion is to avoid posting complicate goals).

So in summary, write your ECLiPSe program in C, and keep the interface
to C simple -- don't try to write the ECLiPSe program in C. If you must
use C to write your constraint program, then I think ECLiPSe is not the
tool you want, and you would be better off using some C (or C++) library
that is designed for this.