Re: [eclipse-clp-users] Question about simple system of equations

From: Thorsten Winterer <thorsten_winterer_at_...126...>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 13:25:27 +0100
The constraint library manual states:

"In FD, numeric domains are more or less limited to -10000000..10000000
(this default domain can be modified, but the larger one makes it, the
more likely one is to run into machine integer overflow problems). In IC
there is no limit as such, and bounds on integer variables can be
infinite (though variables should not be assigned infinite values)."

So, if you use lib(fd) in ECLiPSe (and I assume it's similar with the
other SLP systems that you tried), you start with a restricted domain.
In such a case, the constraints have valid bounds that they can reason
about, and thus end up with the solution that you saw.

lib(ic) on the other hand starts with infinite domains. The constraints
won't reason about infinite bounds (since they can't), so they stay
suspended until the bounds change.

If you restrict the bounds of the ic variables to a similar range as
they would have in fd, then ic can give you the solution too:

?- X #:: -10000000 .. 10000000, X + Y #= 12, 2 * X - 3 * Y #= -1.
X = 7
Y = 5
Yes (0.00s cpu)

Cheers,