Re: [eclipse-clp-users] Triangle Areas: code review request

From: Alexandre Saidi <Alexandre.Saidi_at_...37...>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 17:38:11 +0200
Hi all,
I thought (rapidly) about an algebraic solution but there will be no more use of Eclipse CLP possibilities !

However,  below is  the modus operandi  :

Given a grid of M lines and N columns,
Given the area A (suppose that M.N >=A),
There are  W = 2MN+(M+N)(A-1) rectangles with the area A in that grid (except if M=1 or N=1 where we must divide W by 2).

For instance, for M=10, N=4 and A=2, there will be 66 rectangles of area 2 in it.
And for M=1, N=2, A=1, we get only one rectangle (instead of 2).

We can compute (naively) the coordinates of each rectangle.
Now, given a rectangle of area A, there are 4 triangles of area A/2 in it (half of them are symmetrical)

So, given the grid MN, we can just compute the coordinates of all these rectangles and output 4 triangles for each.

Not funny. ! Because we don't use the power of CLP.

However, the Sergey solution looks quite nice AND USES Eclipse. That's the point.
For the obvious fact about (0,0) , one may translate the center of coordinates from (0,0) to say (x1,y1) and there, the new center is obviously one of the 3 vertices . Hence, translate (x2,y2) and (x3,y3) into that new coordinates. However, this will not reduce the complexity.

regards
Alex