Re: [eclipse-clp-users] Java-embedding problem with v6.1 (dev build 85) on Win7 64

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 05:42:55 +0100
Hi David,

On 22/09/2011 01:53, -dp- wrote:
> I'm fairly sure the reason for this is that eclipse.exe is an app requiring
> Admin privileges to execute (since it's in Program Files on Windows7) and my
> Java app doesn't have my full Admin privileges when it invokes the
> CreateProcess API of Windows. (I guess TkEclipse doesn't face this problem
> because it's under the same app folder in Program Files.)

I don't know much about Windows permissions, as fortunately I don't need
to develop on Windows, but needing admin privileges to run programs in
Program Files seem strange to me. Also, I don't understand why you did
not have the same problem with the 32 bit ECLiPSe...which is also
installed to Program Files (which Windows silently maps to "Programs
Files (x86)" -- but I assume the same restrictions will apply?)

In any case, if the solution is to install ECLiPSe somewhere else, you
can use the tarballs. You can then set the registry entries manually, or
run the ecl_inst.js or ecl_inst.tcl script to do this for you (you might
need to make sure you are running the 64 bit version of javascript or
Tcl to be sure the script sets the right set of registry entry).