Re: [eclipse-clp-users] java.net.SocketException when using OutOfProcessEclipse, seemingly due to insufficient RAM

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 16:27:08 +0100
Hi David,

For OutOfProcessEclipse, the ECLiPSe is run in a different process from
the Java, so you should not need to use a "compatible" version (i.e.
same word length) of Java as the ECLiPSe. I don't expect changing the
settings of the Java VM arguments  to make any difference (as I assume
it only affects the Java process).

The maximum amount of memory that can be allocated for an ECLiPSe
process is determined by your OS, as you don't need to share the
(virtual) memory space with another process as in EmbeddEclipse. If you
are running a 32 bit Windows application, the limit can be relatively
low (less than 2G), and I think this even applies if you are running on
64 bit Windows. I can well believe that Windows 7 has a larger
allocation limit than XP.

However, in order for an OutOfProcessEclipse to allocate more memory,
you need to use EclipseEngineOptions to configure the stack sizes before
spawning the ECLiPSe. You will most likely want to change the global
stack size (eclipse.global-size).

I am not that familiar with the Java interface, so I am not sure what
will happen when the OutOfProcessEclipse runs out of memory. I expect
the process to abort, and so you will not be able to communicate with it
via the socket connections. This may be what you are seeing.

As Thorsten said, ECLiPSe 6.1 has a 64 bit Windows version. We are not
providing it for 6.0 because it involved quite extensive low-level
changes to ECLiPSe, due to some quite significant differences in the way
Mircosoft C represents integer types. ECLiPSe 6.1 is still not
officially released yet because some new components are still in
development, but if you stick to the parts that are available in ECLiPSe
6.0, you should be fine.

You can allocate much larger stack sizes for the 64 bit version of
ECLiPSe, but note that it will need more memory to run the same program
when compared to 32 bit ECLiPSe. Most data will consume twice as much
memory, except for floating point numbers (which actually uses slightly
less memory).