Re: [eclipse-clp-users] simple questions on the "sendmore.ecl" example

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 02:15:36 +0100
Hi Kostas,

On 30/07/2011 17:09, Kostas Oikonomou wrote:
> I have a very elementary question: how do I run a query from
> the Emacs Eclipse mode?

If you want to run a query from the emacs eclipse mode, you need to have
an ECLiPSe-process running in another emacs window first. To do this,
select ECLiPSe-Process->Run ECLiPSe

This will create a new window in your emacs and run ECLiPSe with the
command eclipse. You will have to set the Eclipse Path variable if
'eclipse' is not sufficient to run ECLiPSe in a shell.

You can set the variable by ECLiPSe-Edit->Preferences->Customize. You
probably need to restart emacs (after saving the Eclipse path variable
for a new session) to get it to work.

> Eclipse-Process ->  Compile buffer in Emacs.  Then the only
> way I can think of for running the query
>
> labeling(Digits).

Running labeling(Digits) as a query will return a type error, as you
found out -- this has nothing to do with TkECLiPSe, but is because
labeling/1 is a predicate provided by lib(ic) (which you loaded when you
compiled the sendmore.ecl example), and  labeling expects a collection
of integer ic variables or integers.

Trying to run labeling(Digits) as a query suggest to me that you are not
very familiar with running Prolog. If this is the case, then maybe you
need to read some introductory text to Prolog first. The tutorial has a
chapter on Prolog (Prolog Introduction), but it is rather dense and may
be difficult if you have never used Prolog before.

For the sendmore.ecl example, the query to run is sendmore(Digits) -- if
you look at the code for the example, you will see that the first thing
sendmore/1 do is instantiate Digits to a list of variables, and then
model the problem before calling labeling/1 to perform the (constrained)
search.

Cardiff, South Glamorgan CF10 5BT.