Re: [eclipse-clp-users] bb_min problem

From: Joachim Schimpf <joachim.schimpf_at_...269...>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2011 21:27:21 +1000
Bogdan Tanasa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a piece of CLP which is designed to do some kind of bin packing.
> If I use bb_min with continue strategy the same solution is printed
> several times. Can someone please have a look on my code am give me some
> hints ?

I had a look, but haven't quite yet tracked down why you get
repeated solutions with the same objective value - this should
not happen with branch-and-bound, and might be a bug with the
implementation of bb_min's continue-strategy.

If you change the strategy to 'restart', the multiple-solution
effect does not occur.  However, bb_min still takes a long time
to return AFTER finding the optimum.  This seems to be due to
slow fixpoint conversion when instantiating the variables to
their optimal solution, which is probably a side effect of your
use of very large integer domains and/or real-valued variables.

I don't have more information at the moment.

-- Joachim