Re: [eclipse-clp-users] External procedure constraints

From: Mick Hallward <mick1792_at_...75...>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 12:45:01 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Joachim,

Many thanks for the detailed answer.

Let me try to explain why I was thinking about using externals.

There is a software system, call it S, that tries to
find "good" values for a number of parameters p_1,..,p_n
(mostly integers/reals). To do that, S calls a number
of algorithms A_1,...,A_k with concrete values for the
parameters p_i. It observes what outputs it gets from
each algorithm. Then it tries different values
for p_i, running again the algorithms on the new values;
and so on. It continues randomly "trying" different
values for p_i until the results obtained from the
algorithms are deemed good enough. I intuitively
thought (but might well have been wrong) that it
may be possible to explicitly encode the "logic"
(so to speak) of what constitutes good enough values
for the parameters via proper Eclipse constraints;
and then call in the algorithms dynamically (as
externals) to generate the needed output values.

Whether or not this would at all speed up the search,
I don't know. There are two notions of cost here: the cost
of running the various algorithms A_j, and the
cost of trying different values for the parameters
by expanding the search tree. It's the latter part
that I thought might be improvable by constraint
search, b/c currently it's done in a willy-nilly
fashion. But maybe I was wrong. From your answer
it seems that using Eclipse+externals would probably
degenerate into a similarly inefficient generate+test
approach. I'll have to think a bit more about it
(any suggestions/feedback would be appreciated).
Thanks again!