Re: [eclipse-clp-users] Interfacing Eclipse and Coin

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 20:33:19 +0000
Hi Alexandre,

On 26/01/2011 10:11, Alexandre Saidi wrote:
> Dear All,
> Does anybody tried  to interface Eclipse and Coin/Osi.
> I need to solve non-linear systems inside Eclipse (actually linear but the objective function is quadratic).

Yes, the eplex library of ECLiPSe interfaces to COIN-OR's OSI, which
in turn interfaces to various solvers (OSI is itself a solver interface,
rather than a solver). The binary distribution of ECLiPSe includes two
solver combinations for OSI -- CLP/CBC and CLP/SYMPHONY. The CLP/CBC
support is by far the most developed, and this is probably what you
should use.

In particular, solving of linear problems with a quadratic objective is
supported for CLP/CBC. However, solving of MIQP (MIP with a quadratic
objective) is not supported, mainly because CBC does not provide its own
MIQP solver -- there is a very simple MIQP solver in its example code,
but this is almost certainly not good enough for any realistic problems,
so we decided not to support it.

A further point is that I am not sure how good CLP (the linear solver)
is at solving quadratic problems. The main development effort of CLP is
towards a fast Simplex solver for linear problems, and although it also
support solving of quadratic problems, much less development effort was
spent on this.

 > I know that one can do that by using OSI separately (using
external/separate  files).

What OSI supports or not is not a simple question, as the individual
interfaces to the different solvers are done by different groups, and
the whole project depends on a lot of other COIN-OR projects, such as
CoinUtils, which provides most of the support routines, such as those to
input/load a problem. While there is support for reading in a quadratic
objective, it does not mean that the individual OSI interfaces to a
specific solver would support solving of such problems.

> Should we recompile all sources (Eclipse + Coin)?
> I'm using MacOs .

As I said, binaries for CLP/CBC and CLP/SYMPHONY are provided already
(although the CLP/SYPHONY binearies are not provided for all platforms),
so there is no need to compile anything yourself, unless you want to use
some other solver that is supported by OSI.

For Mac OS X (as well as other Unix distributions), the binary
distribution are in the form of "tarballs", and each eplex/solver
combination has its own tarball. For CLP/CBC, you should download the
file with a filename starting "if_osiclpcbc".

However, we don't have access to a Mac in our normal build
infra-structure, so the binaries are not generated automatically. One of
our users, Paulo Moura, have kindly provided us with access to the Macs
at his University,  and I have been able to  manually build and upload
the Mac binaries to our sourceforge download area, but as I have to do
this manually, the binaries there are quite old now.

I recently brought an iMac, so I can now compile ECLiPSe locally, and I
can send you "unofficial" version of the binaries for the most recent
source. In addition, I have been able to build 64 bit binaries for Intel
Macs.

The 64 bit Intel binaries seems to run somewhat faster than the 32 bit
binaries, and of course you can access >4G of memory, although it also
uses about twice as much memory as the 32 bit version.

So do let me know if you want the latest binaries, and for which
platform. You probably should send this to me personally, rather than to
the whole mailing list.

> If anybody knows some documents explaining how to interface ...

I am not certain what you are referring to here. If you simply want to
run ECLiPSe with CLP/CBC, the eplex documentation in the manuals is what
you need -- eplex is designed so that the code you write in ECLiPSe
should run on all the solvers.

If you want to compile ECLiPSe yourself, the "ECLiPSe Build-and-Test
Setup Guide" may be useful -- It includes instructions on how to compile
COIN-OR solvers for ECLiPSe. This is in MS word format (but Preview on
my Mac can display this file), and is included with the distribution,
but you can also download it from:

http://eclipseclp.org/reports/SetupGuide.pdf

If you want to extend the eplex interface to other solvers yourself,
then this will be more difficult. If you want to extend the support to
other solvers supported by OSI, this should still be relatively easy
(and I think the Setup guide does talk about this a little), as long as
you don't mind the limited functionality this will provide (as I
mentioned, OSI only supports a subset of eplex's functionality).
Otherwise, it will be difficult, but there are some implementation
documentation for eplex in the source distribution (eplex_impl.html, in
documents/internal).

Cardiff, South Glamorgan CF10 5BT.